Heat stroke in the workplace
One of the most important occupational hazards during the summer months is heat stroke. At this time of year, high temperatures become one of the main threats to the health of workers in those activities in which exposure to high temperatures is continuous.
First symptoms that heat causes in our body:
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Dryness of the skin.
What is heat stroke?
Heat stroke is caused by an excessive accumulation of heat in the body. This build-up can be caused either by high temperatures in the environment or by the heat generated by our own body during intense physical activity. When this happens the body is unable to cool itself by sweating. The rise in body temperature causes a dysfunction of the central nervous system and a failure of the thermoregulatory mechanism. The most serious consequence can be the death of the affected person.
“Heat stroke is caused by the accumulation of excessive heat in the body.”
What preventive measures can be taken
- Always inform about the risks.
- Keep properly hydrated.
- Protect your head from the sun’s rays with caps, hats or helmets.
- Wear loose-fitting, light clothing, with fabrics that facilitate ventilation.
- Be aware of the symptoms: dizziness, paleness, shortness of breath, palpitations and extreme thirst.
- Adapt schedules to reduce exposure to the sun during the hottest hours of the day.
- Use high protection creams against the sun.
First aid for heat stroke
- Remove the affected person from the source of heat.
- Immediately call the emergency services (112).
- Remove clothing and cool the body with cold water.
- Place him on his back, with his head slightly elevated.
- Put his feet up to allow blood to reach his head.
- If conscious, give him fluids to drink, preferably containing salt and sugar.
- Do not control seizures. Severe muscle or joint injuries could occur.
- Place something soft (clothing, cushion, etc.) under the head to prevent it from hitting the floor.
Heat stroke, one of the most serious occupational hazards during the summer months.
At Pertesa we offer you a wide range of high visibility clothing and garments that are suitable for use in hot conditions.
Our team of experts will advise you on the characteristics and materials depending on your activity, environmental conditions and applicable regulations.
We are a leading company in the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) sector. We have an extensive catalogue and offer customised solutions.